New USF VPN Client
In order to provide better support for the USF community, and correctly work with new operating systems, in March 2014 USF Information Technology Communications switched to a new VPN client, called Junos Pulse.
OS X 10.11 El Capitan Users and MacOS Sierra
The Old Junos Pulse Client (v. 4.0) is not supported on El Capitan or Sierra. Users are advised to uninstall the Junos Pulse client and install the
new Pulse Secure Desktop Client version. This installer can be downloaded here.
OS X 10.10 or below
If you have not yet installed this new client, please follow the instructions below
- Download Junos Pulse for MacOS X
- Open the downloaded PulseSecure.dmg file (double-click) and run the PulseSecure.pkg installer (double-click).
- If the installation fails due to an unidentified developer error, right-click on the NetworkConnect.mpkg file and select Open With > Installer.app (Default).
- Select Open.
- Start Junos Pulse from the Applications folder.
- Select the + symbol on the bottom left to add a connection.
- Enter USF under Name: and vpn.usf.edu under Server URL:.
- Click on the orange Connect button.
- Enter your NetID under User Name: and your NetID password under Password:, then click on Connect.
- A pop-up window will show after successful connection. The Junos Pulse VPN client will be visible and accessible as an icon
in the menu bar. If the icon has a green check mark, the VPN connection is active. You can disconnect and reconnect by clicking on the icon.
- If you have trouble connecting make sure that your possibly existing Network Connect client is not already connected. Reboot your machine, and without going to the vpn.usf.edu web site, attempt to connect from the menu bar icon instead.
- If you're using "Back to my mac" on your computer the VPN may not work. Please contact the Help Desk if you require this functionality.
Launching Pulse from the Web Interface
As an alternative to the above instructions, you can launch the Pulse client from the VPN web interface. To do so, please follow these instructions:
- Use Safari to browse to vpn.usf.edu
- Log in and click on the Start button by Junos Pulse (the first attempt will fail).
- You will see a page similar to the one below. Do not yet click on any of the links
- Open Safari Preferences, click the Security tab and choose Manage Website Settings... next to the Internet Plug-ins checkbox.
- Click on Java and find the vpn.usf.edu URL listed in the right column. Change the pulldown for that listing to "Run in unsafe mode". Click Done.
- Click on the Once the setup client is installed -option highlighted below. You do not need to click on the setup client installation link.
- Once Pulse has installed and connected, you'll be returned to the initial VPN page. This is not an indication of failure.
- You can see the VPN status in the menu bar.